Pork Afritada is one of my family’s favorite Filipino recipe that I’ve cooked over and over again. This Filipino dish is somewhat similar to caldereta, mechado and menudo recipe that are tomato sauce based stews which I believe was introduced by the Spaniards in the Philippines.
So, try this Afritada recipe and don’t forget also other Filipino tomato based stew recipes in your next meal.
Pork Afritada Recipe
- 1 lb. pork, cut into serving pieces
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp. patis (fish sauce)
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp. fine breadcrumbs (or flour, or cornstarch)
- vegetable oil
- Put pork in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Let stand 10 to 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir-fry pork pieces until no longer pink in color and turn lightly brown.
- Add and sauté garlic until fragrant. Stir in onion until soft and translucent. Season with patis and then add potatoes, stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Pour in water and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer covered for about 25 to 30 minutes or until pork is cooked and potatoes are tender.
- Add in bell peppers and stir to blend. Correct seasonings. Thicken sauce with breadcrumbs (or flour, or cornstarch, if using). Stir and blend and let simmer for another few more minutes.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot.
Looking for other Lutong Bahay Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our ulam recipes, desserts recipes and snacks recipes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.
Leave a Reply