Chicken Afritada is Filipino chicken stew in tomato sauce with carrots, potatoes and bell peppers. One advantage of cooking this dish is the less cooking time involved because it uses chicken meat instead of red meat like pork or beef. You can use almost any parts of the chicken depending on your preference. Today, Lutong Bahay Recipe will provide you a step by step guide on to cook this dish at the comfort of your home.
Chicken Afritada Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ kilo chicken legs or thigh, chop into serving pieces
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. patis
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 medium size carrot, cut into wedges
- 1 medium sized potato, quartered
- ½ cup cooked green peas or chick peas (garbanzos)
- ⅓ cup grated cheese
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 pcs bay leaf
- 1 green or red bell pepper, slice into squares
- Saute garlic and onion until fragrant. Then add the chicken and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add patis and stir cook until the patis has evaporated, then add the tomato sauce and water.
- Bring to a boil then simmer until the chicken is tender and almost cooked.
- Add carrots and potatoes. Simmer again until carrot and potatoes are cooked.
- Add the cheese, green peas, black pepper, bay leaf and bell peppers and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.