Kaldereta or caldereta is commonly a goat meat stew with vegetables and liver paste, originated from the Philippines. This dish has many variations, you can use chicken, pork or beef. You can include vegetables such as tomatoes, potatoes, olives, bell peppers and hot peppers; kaldereta sometimes includes tomato sauce.
Beef Kaldereta Recipe
- 1 kilo beef kenchi or stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cups water
- 1½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup liver spread
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- 2 pcs potatoes, cut into pieces.
- 1 large carrot, cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- pepper to taste
- bird’s eye chili (optional)
- Heat oil in a pot. Fry potatoes and carrots until cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan,sauté garlic and onion until onion becomes translucent.
- Add beef and brown on all sides.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Pour in tomato sauce and half the coconut milk. Mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer in very low heat for 1½ hours until beef becomes very tender. Add water if needed.
- Add liver spread and the rest of the coconut milk. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Add fish sauce, potatoes, carrots, black olives, and bell pepper plus pepper to taste.
- Add chopped bird’s eye chili if you like it spicy. Simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve with rice. Enjoy!
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.