Everyone, talking about Dalgona Coffee, internet’s new favourite drink…… For a Coffee Lover like us, it surely looked good and we decided to try it out. In case you are wondering what a Dalgona Coffee is, it is a South Korean Coffee treat. Dalgona is a popular Korean street candy similar to toffee or honeycomb but it’s caffeinated version is currently been trending across social media platforms.
Dalgona Coffee gets its name from the Korean spongy toffee, Dalgona, also known as ‘Honeycomb’ in the US and ‘Hokey Pokey’ in New Zealand. The drink is a mixture of ice and cold milk topped with a thick layer of instant coffee that’s been whisked until frothy. It gets its name from the coffee topping, which resembles the candy.
It’s simple and easy to make. You require just three ingredients, Instant coffee granules, sugar and water (used in 1:1:1 ratio), whisked into a fluffy, frothy mixture. It is a reverse latte where the steamed milk is replaced by a frothy coffee mixture and the coffee is replaced by iced milk.
Dalgona Coffee Recipe
- Instant Coffee Granules: 2 tbsp
- Sugar: 2 tbsp
- Hot Water: 2 tbsp
- Cold Milk: 400 ml
- Ice cubes: a few
- Cocoa Powder: For garnish
- Take instant coffee (Nescafe is what we use), sugar and hot water in a mixing bowl. Mix them little with a spoon.
- Using an electric hand-held blender, start whipping the coffee mixture until it is light brown. The dark watery paste will slowly turn into a toffee coloured creamy mixture and will hold stiff peaks. (It will take around 3 – 5 minutes. Hand-held whisk will take somewhat longer time).
- Take 2 serving glasses. Add some ice cubes. Pour milk upto 3/4 of the glass. into 2 glasses.
- Spoon dollops of the whisked coffee mixture on top and smooth out with a spoon.
- Sprinkle some cocoa powder and serve.
- You can add more sugar if needed.
- Replace cold milk with hot milk to make cappuccino.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.