The term “Ginataan” is used for dishes that use coconut milk to thicken the sauce. A fresh coconut is the best ingredient that you can use for this Ginataang Langka Recipe. In the Philippines, coconut trees in the middle of barrios are common sights. Men would climb these tall trees and harvest bunches of coconuts that they would use in different ways and from these coconuts, the milk comes and that’s what is going to be used for the dish.
Langka (Jackfruit), on the other hand, is a fruit that doubles as a vegetable when still young. Its meat is used for such dishes. Other ingredients include pork meat and chili. Some people also use sugar for the Ginataang Langka Recipe because they like it sweet and spicy. Both green and red chili can be used depending on your capacity for hot foods. Many household cooks too let the dish turn oily because that’s when the flavors really come out together perfectly and it’s when the langka is already tender.
Ginataang Langka Recipe
- 1/4 kg. Porkloin/Pritong Isda/Daing, sliced thinly
- 1/2 kg. Unripened Jackfruit or Breadfruit(Kamansi)
- 2 cups Coconut Milk
- 1 cup Coconut Cream
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Shrimp Paste
- Ginger, minced
- 2-3 Long Chili Peppers (Siling Pangsigang))
- Salt and Ground Pepper to taste
- Cooking Oil for Sauteing
- Saute the garlic, ginger and onion in 1 tablespoon oil, then add the pork/pritong isda/daing, cooking until slightly browned.
- Mix in the shrimp paste and jackfruit or kamansi and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil then turn the heat down to simmer until the vegetable is slightly tender, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut cream to thicken the sauce, together with the long chili peppers.
- Season with salt (as needed) and ground pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.