In English, nilagang baka literally means “boiled beef.” This Filipino soup dish consists of beef brisket or shank, potatoes, pechay, Baguio beans, cabbage and some seasoning. Some even add saba and corn cob. A successful nilaga should have a delicious broth, meat should be tender and the vegetables not overcooked.
This nilagang baka recipe is easy to cook. The beef shank and tendon are initially sauteed in garlic and onions. Water is added then covered and boiled along with the seasoning. Vegetables such as potatoes, pechay, Baguio beans and cabbage are then added. It is usually served with fish sauce and calamansi.
Nilagang Baka Recipe
- 500 gms beef shank and tendon, cut into serving pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, quartered
- 4 bunches pechay
- 10 pcs Baguio beans, ends trimmed
- 1 small cabbage, quartered
- salt/fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 5 cups water
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- In a large pot, heat oil and saute garlic and onion.
- Add beef, water, salt/fish sauce and peppercorns. Cover and boil until beef is fork tender (more than one hour).
- Add potatoes and cook until tender.
- Add Baguio beans, pechay and cabbage and season with salt/fish sauce.
- Serve with fish sauce and calamansi.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.