Chicken Bistek , a dish slowly cooked in soy sauce, calamansi juice, garlic and onions, a specialty of the Tagalog region.
Chicken Bistek Recipe
- 1 kilogram chicken (legs and thigh parts)
- 1 head garlic, crushed
- 1 medium white onion, peel and sliced in rings
- 1 ½ tablespoon reno liver spread
- 6 pieces calamansi
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1 medium white onion, slice in rings (garnish)
- Wash chicken, drain excess water.
- In a mixing bowl, marinate chicken with 1 onion, ground pepper, crushed garlic, juice of 3 pcs calamansi and ¾ cup soy sauce. Marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour inside the refrigerator.
Cook the chicken:
- Separate chicken in a plate and drain excess sauce. Reserve marinate sauce and separate garlic and onions. In a large pan, heat oil and sautè garlic onions and chicken. Let it cook over medium to low heat for about 5-10 minutes until brownish and juice from chicken runs clear. If you notice too much oil comes out from chicken skin. Discard excess oil.
- Pour in ¾ cup reserve marinade and one cup water. (adjust soy sauce if marinade sauce left is less than ¾). Let it boil and simmer for about 30 minutes. Then add in 1 ½ tablespoon liver spread, mix it well until incorporated to the sauce. Season with salt, add squeezed juice of 3 pieces calamansi and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes more over low heat possible. Toss in sliced onion rings. Turn off heat, cover pan and let residual heat cook onions.
Serve and enjoy!
Looking for other Lutong Bahay Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our ulam recipes, desserts recipes and snacks recipes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.
Leave a Reply