Beef Kansi is an Ilonggo dish that is a cross between Bulalo and Sinigang. This dish is flavored with batwan, lemon grass and vegetables like green jack fruit, bok choy and eggplant. Batwan or Batuan is the original souring ingredients to this recipe but since batwan are hard to find when outside Ilonggo region, we used tamarind sinigang mix.
It is the perfect hearty soup to eat, your friends and family will surely love this.
Beef Kansi Recipe
- 2-3 lbs beef with bones
- 2 stalk lemon grass
- 1 bunch pechay, remove ends
- 2 cups green jack-fruit, sliced
- 1 large eggplant, cut into bite size
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2-3 pieces green finger chilies
- whole corn (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp knorr tamarind sinigang mix
- 2-3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- In a big pot add beef, onions and lemongrass. Add water to cover the meat. Bring into a boil in high heat. Skim off scums accumulated on the surface.
- Simmer for an hour or two until meat are tender. Add more water if needed.
- Season with fish sauce and ground pepper. Continue cooking for few minutes.
- Add jack-fruit, whole corn (if using) and chili peppers. Continue cooking for 10 minutes or until jack-fruit is tender.
- Add slices of eggplant and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with knorr sinigang mix and more fish sauce or salt if needed.
- Add pechay and cook for few minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.