Suman sa Lihiya or Rice cake with lye water is an all time favorite snack of any Filipino. The lye water gives the rice a sticky elastic texture when cooked.
Suman sa Lihiya Recipe
- 3 cups glutinous rice (malagkit)
- 1 tablespoon lye water (lihiya)
- 4×5 inch banana leaves, cleaned and cut into smaller size
- 8×11 inch banana leaves, cleaned and cut into bigger sized
- strings or any food-safe string
- brown sugar or latik for dipping
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups coconut milk (kakang gata)
- or 1 can coconut milk (400ml)
- Add glutinous rice in a large bowl and pour in water to soak for at least 3 hours. Cover and set it aside.
- After 3 hours, drain water then pour lye water. Stir it well until color turns to yellowish.
- Wilt the banana leaves into low fire for a few seconds to soften the leaves but prevent it from burning. Let it cool then wipe with clean cloth.
- Place the bigger leaf (topside down) on a flat surface then arrange the smaller leaf (topside up) in the center of bigger size leaf.
- Add 3 tablespoons of rice mixture on smaller leaf, fold the leaf to wrap the rice mixture.
- Place 2 pieces of wrapped rice mixture on top of each one then tie with folded sides together using strings.
- In a large pot, arrange the wrapped rice mixture then pour enough water to soak the wrapped rice mixture.
- Let it boil over medium, and adjust it to low heat for at least 1 1/2 hours or until done.
- Unwrap then transfer to serving plate.
To make Latik Sauce:
- In a saucepan pour in the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Let it simmer over low heat. Add-in brown sugar and stir continuously, until sugar is well dissolved and sauce thickens. Add more sugar if needed. Turn off heat.
Serve with latik. Enjoy!
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.