Lugaw, also spelled lugao, is a Filipino glutinous rice gruel or porridge. It is an umbrella term that encompasses various dishes, both savory and sweet. In Visayan regions, savory lugaw are collectively referred to as pospas. Lugaw is widely regarded as comfort food in the Philippines.
- 1 cup of uncooked rice, preferably unwashed and clean
- 6-7 cups of meat broth
- 2 cups cubed ox tongue
- 2 cups fried and cubed tokwa (tofu)
- 1/4 cup coconut vinegar
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 small onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 head of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 chili pepper, crushed
- salt and pepper
- toasted garlic and finely chopped onion leaves for garnish
1. Pour the unwashed rice in a casserole and set over medium heat.
2. Toast rice until slightly browned. Pour in the meat broth to rice. Stir well. Season with a little salt or patis.
3. Bring to a boil then lower the heat. Cover and simmer for forty-five minutes to an hour with occasional stirring. At the end of the cooking time, the grains should be well puffed and the mixture should be thick.
4. If you wash the rice, drain it well and place in the casserole with the broth.
5. While the rice cooks, prepare the topping. Mix together the vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, about 1/2 tsp. of ground black pepper, the sliced onion, crushed garlic and chili pepper. Pour the mixture over the cubed ox tongue and fried tokwa and toss well.
6. When cooked, fill the individual bowls with lugaw until about 2/3 full. Arrange the cubes of ox tongue, tokwa and sliced onions at the center.
7. Sprinkle with finely chopped onion leaves and toasted garlic.
8. Serve hot.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.