This Baklava recipe is much simpler for any Filipino kitchen or any country. Anyone can make a simple yet delish Baklava of the Mediterrenean!
- 12 oz of chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds, or pistachios are the most common favorites)
- 12 pcs. Gerber Arrowroot cookies, crushed finely
- 1 box of phyllo dough (16 oz.), thawed (may take overnight)
- 2 cups of butter, melted
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ cup of honey
- 1 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Brush a 9×13 pan with butter and set the oven to 350°F.
- Roll out the dough and cut the dough in half so the sheets will fit in the pan. Place a damp towel on top of dough to keep moistened and not dry.
- In a food processor, grind nuts until very small, and even out sizes. Combine with sugar, cinnamon and crushed gerber arrowroot cookies (find it in groceries or baby section). In another bowl, melt butter in the microwave.
- Lay 2 sheets of phyllo dough in the pan; brush top sheets with butter and repeat 3 times, total of 8 sheets.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoon mixed walnut and cookies on top of fillo sheets. Place 2 sheets again, brush with butter then sprinkle 3 tablespoon of mixed walnut and cookies. Repeat up to 12 layers.
- Lay 2 sheets of phyllo again and brush with butter. Repeat for 3x total of 8 sheets.
- Any excess butter, just brush it on top sheets.
Slice it before baking: 6 rows x 4 rows, and slice in diagonal to make a total of 48 pieces.
Bake at 350°F (176°C) for 35 minutes or until golden brown and the edges are slightly crisp.
Make the Syrup:
- In a saucepan, mix in the sugar, lemon juice, honey, water and thrown in the cinnamon stick. Let it boil, then adjust heat to medium. Just let it simmer for 7 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Pour hot syrup when baklava comes out.
Let it cool before serving. Enjoy!!!
- Garnish with some finely crushed pistachio nuts if preferred.
Image Source: minogueytheyogi
Looking for other Lutong Bahay Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our ulam recipes, desserts recipes and snacks recipes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.
Leave a Reply