Igado is an authentic Filipino Ilocano dish and is made from strips of pork loin meat and pork liver as the main ingredient.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced into strips
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 4 garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, cracked
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound beef liver, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- salt to taste
- In a bowl, combine pork strips, vinegar, soy sauce, onions, garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns. Marinate for about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain meat from marinade, squeezing excess liquid. Reserve marinade and aromatics.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add bell peppers and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove from pot and set aside.
- In the pan, add pork and cook, stirring occasionally, until color changes.
- Add onions, garlic, peppercorns, and bay leaves (from marinating pork) and cook until softened and pork is lightly browned.
- Add reserved marinade and bring to a boil, uncovered and without stirring, for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes or until pork is tender and liquid is reduced.
- Add liver, stirring gently to combine, and continue to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes or until liver is cooked through and sauce is thickened.
- Add green peas and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Add bell peppers and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes or until tender yet crisp. Season with salt to taste. Serve hot.
Looking for other Lutong Bahay Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our ulam recipes, desserts recipes and snacks recipes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.
Leave a Reply