The Sweet and Sour dish consists of deep fried pork in bite sized pieces, and subsequently stir-fried in a more customized version of sweet and sour sauce made of sugar, ketchup, white vinegar, and soy sauce, and additional ingredients including pineapple, green pepper, and onion. The secret of an authentic sweet and sour pork dish lies in the perfect balance of the sweet vs. sour taste of the sauce. It evolved into variety of dishes with the same basic ingredients — sweet and sour sauce. Sweet and sour dish can also be prepared with chicken, beef, fish, prawns, or simply with meatball veggies for vegans.
Homemade Sweet & Sour Pork Recipe
- 1/2 kilo pork loin, sliced into pieces
- 1 small can pineapple chunks
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 red & 1 green bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of peanut oil
- 4 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- In a pot, boil pork in 2 cups of water with 1/2 teaspoon of salt until tender, then drain (keep the pork stock for later).
- Mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and soy sauce then coat the pork with the cornstarch mixture.
- Fry the pork in a skillet until golden brown, set aside.
- Dissolve the remaining 2 tablespoons of cornstarch on 1/2 cup of pork stock – set aside.
- Sauté garlic and onions on oil, then add the bell peppers, pineapple chunks (including the syrup), ketchup, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the dissolved cornstarch. Stir until sauce thickens.
- Pour over fried pork then serve with rice.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.