Calamares is one of Philippines’ most famous seafood appetizers, served with rice, or served as a pulutan (beer accompaniment). It is also one of the easier Filipino dishes to cook. It is made of squid, sliced into rings, and deep fried. Filipinos love this finger food and is easily available in restaurants and bars, now it is also considered as street food because of it’s popularity.
- 1 kilo medium to large sized squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 piece raw egg, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooking oil
1. Combine squid, salt, and ground black pepper then mix well. Let it stand for 10 minutes.
2. Heat a cooking pot and pour-in cooking oil.
3. Dredge the squid in flour then dip in beaten egg and roll over breadcrumbs.
4. When the oil is hot enough, deep-fry the squid until the color of the coating turns brown.
Note: This should only take about 2 to 3 minutes in medium heat. Do not overcook the squid.
5. Remove the fried squid from the cooking pot and transfer in a plate lined with paper towels.
6. Serve hot, crispy and crunchy along with the dipping sauce like mayonnaise, spicy vinegar or sinamak.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.