Siopao, literally meaning “hot bun”, is the Philippine version of the Cantonese steamed bun called cha siu bao. It is a popular snack sold mostly in Chinese restaurants or by sidewalk vendors in the Philippines. There are different varieties based on the filling. One of this is the Siopao Asado.
For the Dough:
- 1 pouch instant dry yeast
- 2 cups of warm water
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 ¼ tbsp baking powder
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 6 tbsp shortening
For the Filling:
- 1.5 – 2 lbs pork (chopped into small pieces)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 large minced onion
- 3 tbsp lard or shortening
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (diluted in 1/4 cup water)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- Start by cooking the filling. Saute garlic and onions.
- Cook the pork until the color of the outer part turns light brown
- Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, and sugar. Mix well and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Put in corn starch diluted in water and mix well until sauce becomes thick. Set aside.
- Start making the dough by placing warm water in a bowl. Add yeast and sugar then mix well.
- Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Get a mixing bowl and put the flour, baking powder, shortening or lard, and yeast mixture. Mix well. (You will see some bubbles forming on top at this moment)
- Knead the combined mixture until it becomes fine and uniformed.
- Let the dough stand for an hour until it rises.
- Knead dough a second time and cut into serving slices
- Roll each piece into a ball and flatten it with the use of your hands or palms.
- Place the meat filling in the middle of the flattened dough and wrap or enclose it.
- Place siopao in steamer and steam for 15-20 minutes.
Image Source: jmshark18.blogspot.com
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.