Sapin-sapin is a layered glutinous rice and coconut dessert in Philippine cuisine. It is made from rice flour, coconut milk, sugar, water, flavoring and coloring. It is usually sprinkled with latik or toasted desiccated coconut flakes sprinkled on top.
- 1 1/2 cup Glutinous or Sweet Rice Flour
- 1 1/4 cup Rice Flour
- 1 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3 cups Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup Coconut Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Anise Seed
- Red, Yellow, Purple Food Color
- 1/4 cup Ube Powder or Purple Yam Powder (optional)
- 2 cups Shredded Dried Coconut
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- Mix together the sweet and regular rice flours, sugar and coconut milk, strain until flour is dissolved.
- Divide the mix into 4, about 1 1/4 cup each bowl.
- Using yellow food color, put about 8-10 drops on one of the bowls, and mix in 1/4 tsp anise seed. Set aside.
- Put about 8-10 drops red food color in one of the bowls, then add 1/4 tsp.anise seed. Set aside.
- Measure 1/4 cup powdered Ube and dissolve in one of the bowls, and add 4-5 drops purple food color. Set aside.
- Add the coconut cream to the last bowl to make it pearly white.
- Set the steamer, then prepare 2 pieces 6-inch aluminum foils by brushing the bottom and sides with oil.
- Starting with purple, pour half of the mix on each of the foils, steam for 7-8 minutes or until set.
- Then pour yellow, and cook for 7-8 minutes, same with the red and lastly the white.
- Separately on a shallow pan, toast the shredded coconut until golden brown, then cool down a bit and grind coarsely.
- To assemble, invert the cooked sapin-sapin cake on a serving plate, divide in 8 and top with coconut bits on center of each slice. Serve extra toasted coconut on the side.
Looking for other Lutong Bahay Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our ulam recipes, desserts recipes and snacks recipes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.
Leave a Reply