Rice Puto with Gata or Coconut milk will teach you how to make rice cake from scratch. Very affordable Filipino recipe and merienda.
Rice Puto with Gata Recipe
- 2 cups rice (regular or jasmine/high class)
- 1 & 1/2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar (white, refined)
- Banana leaves (optional)
- Quickmelt Cheese slices (optional toppings)
- Soak rice in water overnight. In the morning, drain water and wash it again.
- Grind it to form a thick galapong batter. (You can grind rice using a blender)
- Mix-in sifted baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add the coconut milk. Mix very well until the batter is smooth.
- Pour in the batter to almost 3/4 full of the mold.
- Steam for 30 minutes or until cooked. You may add cheese if you prefer: Quickly put cheese on top cover and let it melt for awhile.
- Insert a toothpick at the center, if it comes out clean, the puto is ready.
- Turn off heat and remove from steamer. Serve and enjoy!
Image Courtesy: curlingup_ann
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.