Pianono Bread –Similar to its Spanish and South American counterparts wherein bread or pastry dough is rolled around various fillings; the Filipino-style Pianono is a type of jelly roll consisting of a soft, pillowy sponge cake wrapped around a mixture of margarine and sugar.
Pianono Bread Recipe
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup Softasilk flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar, and some for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Separate and keep the egg whites from the yolk.
- Use a large mixing bowl and beat the egg whites with an electric mixer. As you constantly beat the egg whites, slowly add the sugar in small batches. Until well incorporated and no traces of sugar left. Set aside.
- Next, beat the egg yolks and combine them into the egg whites batter. Adjust the speed of the electric mixer to slow and add the flour. Continue beating until batter is light and fluffy.
- In a greased tray lined with parchment paper with a size of 13×13, spread the batter evenly. Bake until the center of the cake is cook or springy. About 5 minutes.
- Once done, cool for 5 minutes. Do not cool the pianono roll completely because the roll must still be warm to ensure pliability.
- Dust a clean and dry tea towel generously with caster sugar.
- Carefully flip the pianono upside down onto a clean and dry tea towel. This can be done by laying the dusted surface of the tea towel directly on top of the pianono in the pan, folding the edges of the tea towel under the pan, grabbing the sides of the pan, flipping it carefully onto a hard surface and removing the tin.
- Spread melted butter all over the cake, then sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Position the cake so that the longest side is facing towards you.
- Roll the cake away from you.
- Dust with caster sugar and serve warm.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.