Hopia literally good pastry, the name it is known by in the Philippines) is a popular Indonesian and Philippines bean-filled moon cake-like pastry originally introduced by Fujianese immigrants in the urban centers of both nations around the turn of the twentieth century. It is a widely available inexpensive treat and a favoured gift for families, friends and relatives.
Hopiang Ube Recipe
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup lard, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup lard, cut into cubes
- ube halaya for filling
- 1 egg white for brushing
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar and 1/2 cup lard. Mix it well using your clean hands till it becomes crumbly in texture.
- Next, add 1/2 cup water and continue to mix it till it forms like a dough. If the dough is too sticky, dust it with flour on your clean flat surface (work table) and knead the dough until its no longer sticky.
- Shape the dough into a ball and cut into four. Set aside.
- Combine the other portion of flour and lard. Mix it well again using your hands till it becomes crumbly. Then set aside.
- Using 1 cling film, flatten one portion of the dough using your palm then place another cling film on top. Flatten the dough using a rolling pin till the dough is about 1/8 inch thick.
- Remove the top cling film. Sprinkle the crumbly flour on top of the flatten dough, make sure you have enough crumbly flour for the 4 doughs. Using the bottom cling film, roll the dough tightly into a log, Seal both ends then wrap it in cling film. Continue the procedure for the rest of the dough. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, unwrap the dough and cut it into 4-5. Get 1 portion facing upward flatten using a rolling pin (with cling film at the bottom and on top) to about 1/8 in thickness.
- Place a tablespoon full of ube filling at the centre of the dough and seal the dough completely. Place on baking tray and continue the rest of the dough.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C. Brush egg whites on top of the hopia. Bake it for 15-20 minutes or till it’s golden brown.
- Transfer into wire rack to cool down before serving.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.