The Filipino Ensaymada is a rather unusual variation. This is unique to the Philippines where it has been a delicacy for nearly four centuries since the Spanish rule of the country.
It is made with butter instead of lard and topped with grated cheese (usually aged Edam, known locally as “queso de bola”) and sugar. It is much richer than the Mallorcan original and is extremely popular throughout the islands, especially during the Christmas season.
Pinoy Ensaymada Recipe
- 1/3 C refined sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 2 tbs warm water
- 1/2 all purpose flour
- 1/3 C butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp refined sugar
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1 C mashed potatoes
- grated cheese
- melted butter
- Mix Sponge ingredients in a mixing bowl. Combine until blended and knead until dough is smooth. Shape into a ball, cover with damp cloth or cling wrap and let rise for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Put the dough ingredients except butter in a mixing bowl. Blend well. Add the sponge and butter. Knead just until it is smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball. Put in a bowl and cover with damp cloth and let rise until it doubles its size.
- Punch dough and divide into desired number of pieces. Shape into balls and cover again with damp cloth and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Roll out each piece thinly into rectangles. Brush surfaces with butter. Roll into logs and twirl into shape, locking the ends to seal. Place on greased ensaymada molds or baking pan. Let rise for 2 hours and wait until it double its size.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown at 325 F or 160-170 C fan forced oven.
- Cool slightly and brush with melted butter. Top with cheese and sprinkle sugar.
Looking for other Lutong Bahay Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our ulam recipes, desserts recipes and snacks recipes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.
Leave a Reply