Chicharon Bulaklak is a very popular beer-match usually served during celebrations. However, it can also be served as an afternoon snack, and if one is feeling adventurous, then as one of the many side dishes during lunch. It usually is served and best eaten with spicy vinegar with lots of onions and chilies.
Chicharon Bulaklak Recipe
- 1 1/2 Kilo pork small intestine with mesentery intact
- 2–3 pcs bay leaves
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 head garlic crushed
- cooking oil
- Cut the pork intestine and mesentery into manageable sizes.
- Using a thin sharp knife, make a slit along the outer radius of the small intestine.
- Wash each pork intestine and mesentery thoroughly with running water.
- Scrubbing off all solid matter inside the intestines.
- Do this several time until all the solid particles are removed.
- Put the pork intestine and mesentery in a large Pan
- Pour in water about 2 inches above the intestines.
- Add the bay leaf, peppercorns and 1 to 2 tbsp. of salt.
- Let boil and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes or until tender.
- Remove the pork intestine and mesentery from the pan and let drain
- Discard the boiling liquid and other residues.
- Keep refrigerated for several hours to chill or until ready to fry.
To Deep Fry
- Cut the pork intestine and mesentery to the desired size and evenly season with salt.
- Add oil to the deep fryer at the recommended level.
- Pre-heat the deep fryer to 200°C or to the highest setting.
- Now deep fry the pork intestine and mesentery in batches.
- Expect the oil splashing so replace the deep fryer lid immediately.
- Deep fry for 3 to 5 minutes or until the vigorous oil splashing has stopped turn over the pork intestine and mesentery.
- Continue to deep fry until the intestines and mesentery color has changed into a nice golden. When done remove from the deep fryer and drain oil in a plate lined with paper kitchen towel. Alternately heat a generous amount of oil in a deep frying pan.
- Deep fry for 3 to 5 minutes in batches or until color change to golden brown and crisp, drain excess oil in a kitchen paper towels.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.