So, what is Tandoori Chicken, btw? Tandoori chicken is a chicken dish prepared by roasting chicken marinated in yogurt and spices in a tandoor, a cylindrical clay oven. The dish originated from the Indian subcontinent and is popular in many other parts of the world.
After you’ve finished cooking this delicious chicken recipe, aroma and flavors will stand out with hot rice. Check out the recipe below!
Tandoori Chicken Recipe
- 1 (2 lb.) whole fresh (roasting) chicken
- 3 tbsp. tandoori curry paste
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- lettuce, onion rings, tomato and lemon, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare a roasting rack and a baking dish. Set aside.
- Rinse chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towels. Make deep gashes in thighs and on each side of breast. Pin back the wings. Place chicken in a non-reactive bowl. Set aside.
- Combine tandoori curry paste, yogurt, lemon juice and melted butter. Stir to blend. Spread mixture all over the chicken, rubbing well into the gashes. Cover and refrigerate for 6 or more hours.
- Place chicken on the prepared roasting rack in a baking dish. Spoon any remaining marinade over chicken.
- Transfer and place in the center rack of the oven. Bake for an hour or until chicken is done, basting with pan juices every 15 minutes during cooking. Internal temperature reads 160°F for the leg, 180°F for the breast and 190°F for the thigh. Be careful not to touch any bones with the thermometer. Bones conduct heat and will give a false reading.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer to a cutting board. Cover with aluminum foil for about 10-15 minutes before carving so the juices settle.
- Arrange crisp lettuce leaves on a large serving platter and cover with onion rings. Cut chicken into portions and place on the platter. Garnish with tomato wedges and lemon slices.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.