Kilawin or Sisig puso ng saging is a simple and easy to prepare and cook. This dish is commonly served during lunch or dinner with fried fish.
Sisig Puso ng Saging Recipe
- 1 kilo or 2 pcs large size puso ng saging / banana blossom or bud
- 1/4 kilo pork, thinly sliced or shelled shrimp (optional)
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced garlic
- 1 pc medium size onion
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cooking oil
Preparations for the Puso ng Saging (Banana Blossoms):
- To prepare, unwrap the tough bract (red covering) to reveal the layers of flowers and cone-shaped yellowish bud.
- Wash and steam this inner portion for around 20 minutes, and let cool before slicing. You may heat flowers and bud in a microwave, too. If you’re using the flowers, don’t forget to slice off the top to remove the stamen.
- Cut the buds into halves, lengthwise. Then slice them thinly across its width.
- Dump them immediately into the brine to avoid it from getting dark.
- Gently squeeze the sliced buds in the brine in batches to remove the acrid or bitter juice. Rinse well and drain.
- In a large pan, heat the oil and fry pork until the change in color
- Add garlic and onion when the onion is translucent, add in fish sauce and let it sizzles away until aromatic.
- Add the chili peppers and continue sautéing until pork is tender.
- Add in sliced banana blossom and continue cooking.
- Season it with salt and ground pepper.
- Stir-fry until the liquid rendered by the veggie is reduced.
- Add the vinegar and let it boil uncovered without stirring.
- When it is already boiling, stir and continue simmering until the liquid is reduced.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings. Simmer for a minute more and turn the heat off.
- Serve with steam rice and fried fish
- Share and enjoy!
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.