Sinigang na Hipon – A classic Filipino soup made with shrimps, tomatoes, mild green chili peppers, radishes and okra often seasoned with fish sauce and characterized by its tangy-sour flavor usually from the tamarind fruit or from local lemons.
Sinigang na Hipon Recipe
- 6 cups Water
- 1 lb Shrimps (with skin and head), seasoned with a little salt
- 3 Plum Tomatoes, quartered
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 1 White Radish, sliced
- 2 mild Green Chile Peppers
- 6 Okra
- 1-1/2 cups freshly squeezed Tamarind juice or to taste*
- 2 Tablespoons Fish sauce or use Salt instead, to taste
- 1 (10 oz) pack fresh Spinach or 1-2 bunches of Kangkong
- In a large pan, bring the water to a simmer (almost boiling).
- Add the tomatoes, onions and sliced radishes and cook until the latter are tender-crisp (half-cooked).
- Add the green chili peppers, okra and tamarind juice and continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and season with salt or fish sauce, to taste. Cook for another 4-5 minutes or until shrimps are cooked and veggies are all tender. Check the seasoning at this point – add more souring agent, fish sauce or even water, if necessary – whatever your taste buds tell you!
- Turn off the heat. Stir in the Kangkong or spinach and then cover and let it wilt and cook for a couple of minutes. The steam from the hot soup should cook it quick. Ladle into bowls and enjoy immediately!
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.