Sinanglay na Tilapia – One of the favorite fish dish of Bicolanos is “Sinanglay”, wherein fish is wrapped in pechay or mustard leaves and is simmered in rich coconut milk. Tilapia is perfect for this. Fresh Tilapia is always available in the supermarkets. And cooking Sinanglay is very easy just follow the recipe guide below.
Sinanglay na Tilapia Recipe
- 2 pcs big tilapia (about 1 kilo)
- bunch of pechay
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 2 thumbsized ginger, chopped
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 8 pcs kamias, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground peppercorn
- 2 siling haba (finger chilis)
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- Clean the fish. Remove gills, innards and scales ~ or you may have it removed at the supermarket as you buy it.
- Wash the fish. Drain well. Set aside
- In a bowl, mix together garlic, onion, ginger, kamias, tomatoes, 1/8 tsp ground peppercorn. Insert a spoonful of the mixture inside the slit of the fish (the stomach part) to give a nice flavor to the fish.
- In a pot, put the pechay leaves. then top it with the rest of the mixture from step 3. Add the finger chilis.
- Place the fish on top of it. Then pour the coconut milk, fish sauce, and sprinkle the rest of the ground peppercorn.
- Cover.Cook and simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes. Adjust the taste, add fish salt if needed.
- Serve with rice. Enjoy!
Note: You can replace fresh kamias with dried kamias, or if not available you may use 3 tbsps calamansi juice or 1/4 cup tomato sauce.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.