Pork Menudo is another dish adapted from the Spanish and Mexicans. Others cook it using tripes. We, Filipinos, however, use pork cubes and liver. Pork menudo is also a primary dish in Filipino gatherings, primarily because a lot of people can partake of it. There are many versions of cooking Pork Menudo but this is our version.
Pork Menudo Recipe
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup liver, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small red or green red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon annatto powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, dissolve annatto powder in 1/4 cup water. Set aside.
- In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until limp and aromatic.
- Add pork and cook until lightly browned. Add fish sauce and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook, mashing occasionally with back of spoon, until softened and releases liquid.
- Add water and and annatto water and bring to boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer, adding more water in 1/2 cup increments as needed, until pork is tender.
- Add garbanzo beans, raisins, potatoes and carrots. Continue to simmer for around 4 to 5 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Add liver and bell peppers. Gently stir to combine. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes or until liver is cooked through and sauce is thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.