Pork de Pickles or Waknatoy, also called Marikina menudo, is a Filipino pork stew with pickles. It is a variant of the Filipino menudo stew originating from Marikina City. It is made with cubed pork and pork liver with sausages (typically Chorizo de Bilbao), red and green bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic, onions, and distinctively, pickle relish, cooked in a tomato-based sauce with salt, pepper, fish sauce, and bay leaves. Waknatoy does not traditionally include other vegetables like potatoes and carrots, like menudo, but they can be included.
Pork de Pickles (Waknatoy) Recipe
- 1 kilogram pork kasim (1 inch square)
- ¼ kilogram pork liver, slice in strips
- 2-3 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 pc chorizo bilbao, sliced diagonally & thinly, fat coating removed
- 2-3 tbsp cooking oil (may combine with the fat removed from chorizo)
- 1 head garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 bottle 270g cubed Ram Pickled cucumber/ reserve juice for marinade
- 1 red and green bell pepper, (cored,quartered and sliced thinly)
- 2 big potatoes, (peeled, cubed, and fried in small amount of oil)
- ¼ kilo sausage, sliced diagonally (fried too in small amt of oil)
- 2 pouch tomato sauce (250 grams)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 pouch tomato catsup (250 grams)
- salt and white pepper
- 1 cup water or stock
- some grated cheese
- 1 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
- 1 bay leaf
- Marinate pork in pickle juice, 2-3 tbsp light soy sauce, about 1 tbsp rock salt and a dash of white pepper for about 1 hour or longer.
- Sauté in a wok (kawali) with the oil/fat, sliced chorizo, garlic, onion, marinated pork.
- Let boil then simmer until meat is cooked and mixture starts to thicken. Add the liver and let it cook for a minute or two.
- Add sausage, tomato sauce, tomato ketchup, tomato paste and pickles. Toss and turn until sauce are well combined. Continue to simmer until sauce is thickened. It should look oily and sticking in the wok as you toss all the ingredients.
- Add red bell pepper, bay leaf and the potatoes. Add little amount of water, season with patis to taste. Continue to cook until it becomes very saucy.
- Add some grated cheese to improve the flavor.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.