Pork Binagoongan with Gata – “Pork with shrimp paste” is an authentic Filipino recipe. This recipe is easy to prepare, tenderized pork is sauteed and cooked with the fermented shrimps. The shrimp paste has the most dominant flavor. In order to balance the salty taste, vinegar, along with sugar and coconut milk/cream are added.
Pork Binagoongan with Gata Recipe
- 1 Kilo Pork Belly (Liempo) cubed
- 2 tablespoon corn oil
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 white onion, minced
- 5 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup shrimp paste (Bagoong)
- 3 tablespoon cane vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pc chili (banana pepper, jalapeno, or long chili pepper), sliced
- 3 eggplants, sliced diagonally
- 1/2 cup coconut milk/cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place cubed liempo in a stockpot. Cover with water and let boil for at least 15 minutes. Prepare the rest of the ingredients while meat is cooking.
- Pour corn oil into a hot pan. Saute garlic and onions until softened. Add tomatoes and cook until softened too. Stir-fry bagoong until aromatic then put in the boiled pork pieces and 1/2 cup of boiling water used to cook the pork.
- Simmer until pork softens, then add vinegar, sugar and chili then season with salt and pepper to taste. Adding pork broth is optional.
- When pork is fork-tender, add sliced eggplants and coconut cream. Bring to a boil and simmer until mixture thickens and eggplants are soft, about 10 minutes then serve with steamed rice.
Image Source: kawalingpinoy
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.