Pinaupong manok or “sitting chicken” is traditional way of cooking of whole chicken that sit on a bed of rock salt and no liquid is added. The chicken is cook in the combined steam generated from the water content of the salt as well as its own. It also absorbs all the natural flavor of the rock salt. This dish is served with with soy sauce and kalamansi or lemon juice.
Pinaupong Manok Recipe
For the chicken:
- 1kilo whole chicken
- 2 pcs. whole onions
- 1 pc. whole garlic
- 4 pcs 1″ chunks of ginger
- 5-6 pcs peppercorns
- 3 pc. Lemon grass
- 2-3 cups of rock salt
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 3 tbsp. of kalamansi juice
- 1 tbsp. of finely minced garlic
- 1 medium size of onion, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- salt to taste
- Peel the onions. Pierce the garlic in several places using a sharp, pointed knife. Rub the cavity of the chicken with rock salt. Stuff the cavity with the onions, garlic, ginger, peppercorns and lemon grass. Rub the skin with rock salt. Make the bed of rock salt.
- Pour enough rock salt, about an inch high, into a large, deep stainless steel casserole. Place the chicken on the bed of salt, breast side down, making sure that no part of the chicken touches the metal. Cover the casserole and cook over medium-low heat for 1 hour. If using a pressure-cooker, cook for 20 minutes counting from the time the valve starts to whistle.
- Do not uncover during cooking time.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dunking sauce. mixed all ingredient and stir. Season with salt.
- When cooking time is up, insert a long, large fork into the chicken cavity to lift it without breaking. Transfer to a plate. Take about a tablespoonful of the olive oil brush the chicken all over.
- Serve hot.
Image Source: mabuhaymanor
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.