Pinangat na isda, also called pangat na isda, is a Filipino dish from Southern Luzon consisting of fish and tomatoes stewed in a broth soured with fruits like calamansi, bilimbi, tamarind, or santol. It can also be used to cook shrimp. It is similar to sinigang, but it is not as tart.
Pinangat na isda may also sometimes be referred to as paksiw, a related but different dish which primarily use vinegar to sour the broth. Pinangat na isda is also commonly confused with laing (also called pinangat na laing or pinangat na gabi), a Bicolano dish also known simply as pinangat. But they are different dishes.
Pinangat na Isda Recipe
- 2 pompano (cut in half)
- 3 medium tomatoes (sliced thinly)
- 1 small onion,
- 1/4 cup calamansi or lime (or lemon) juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 spring onions (cut diagonally, about 1 inches)
- Clean the fish and cut two diagonal slashes on both sides.
- Slice tomatoes and onion into round slices thinly.
- Place half of the onions and tomatoes on the bottom of a deep pan.
- Add fish, the rest of the onion and tomatoes, lemon or lime juice, water, olive oil, spring onion, and salt and crushed pepper to taste.
- Let boil on medium-high heat, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the fish is done.
This recipe can also be baked by following the instructions here and using a baking dish instead of a pan, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until fish is done in a 375 degree F oven. Another method is to prepare it placing individual fish atop a sheet of foil. Add the ingredients over the fish. Fold the foil onto itself, crimping the edges tightly to keep the juices from dripping out. Put the packages in the baking pan and bake for about 15-20 minutes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.