Pakbet or Pinakbet is another native Filipino mixed-vegetables dish. There are also variations in cooking this, but they say the most delicious one, is the aunthentic Pakbet Ilocano of Ilocos where the dish originated. In this recipe, we will add a sliced of Lechon Kawali to add a little bit of crispiness and to soften the flavor.
Pakbet with Lechon Kawali Recipe
- 1 bunch sitaw (string beans), cut about 3 inches each
- 8 pcs okra, cut in half
- 1 large talong (eggplant), sliced
- 1 medium-sized ampalaya (bitter melon), seeded and sliced
- 1/4 kilo kalabasa (squash), chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 thumbsized ginger, crushed
- 4 tsp bagoong
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup meat broth ( i used the broth where I boiled the pork belly for the lechon kawali)
for the lechon kawali:
- 1/2 kilo pork belly, cut in 2 lengthwise
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- oil, for deep frying
For the lechon kawali:
- Boil water in a pot. Season the pork(except the skin part) with half of the seasoning (salt and paprika).
- Drop the meat in the boiling water. Cover.
- Cook in low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the pot, then rub the meat sides (just the meat part not the porkskin)with the rest of salt and paprika.
- In a separate pan, deep fry the meat.
- Cook until golden brown and crisp. Chop.Set aside.
For the pinakbet:
- Heat oil in pan. Saute ginger, onions, garlic and tomatoes.
- Add bagoong, then the meat broth. Boil.
- Add the kalabasa and okra, cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add the sitaw, talong and ampalaya. Cover. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Adjust the taste.Add salt if needed.
- Then cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve in plate, topped with the lechon kawali. Enjoy!
Image Source: crisibanez
Looking for other Lutong Bahay Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our ulam recipes, desserts recipes and snacks recipes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.
Leave a Reply