Nilaga refers to anything boiled or stewed. Meat (chicken, pork or beef) is often used with vegetables. Nilagang manok is similar to nilagang baboy. To make this dish, chicken is boiled until tender. Once it is already tender, onions, salt/fish sauce and whole peppercorns are added. Vegetables such as potatoes, cabbageor pechayare also added.
This is often served with plain rice, fish sauce and red chilies. This is a delightful treat during the rainy season. Enjoy!
Nilagang Manok Recipe
- 500 gms chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 potatoes, quartered
- 3 bunches of pechay
- salt/fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
- 5-6 cups water
- In a pot, add enough water and salt/fish sauce and boil chicken until tender (at least an hour).
- When chicken is tender, add onion and whole peppercorns. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender.
- Add pechay. Season with salt/fish sauce.
- Serve hot.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.