“This recipe was selected to be part of the Noche Buena Recipes as part of the Christmas celebration of the educational publisher Twinkl, with the aim of helping Filipinos feel the Christmas spirit wherever they are around the world.”
Lechon Manok or Roasted chicken is basically a chicken cooked in a home kitchen or over a fire. This dish is considered as a all-time favorite and majority of the Filipinos. It is readily available at practically every street corner in the country and it cost usually around 200-300 pesos.
Lechon Manok Recipe
- 1 whole chicken (about 1 kilo)
- 4 stalks tanglad (lemon grass)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp calamansi or lemon juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup Sprite or 7up
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, prepare the marinade by mixing together the garlic, onion, calamansi or lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, soda, salt and pepper.
- Pat dry the chicken, and rub it all over with the marinade, including the cavity. Refrigerate for about 4 hours or to obtain the best result, marinate it overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F or 200° C
- Stuff the cavity with the lemon grass folded into four and bay leaves.
- Roast the chicken for about an hour and a half or until the chicken has turned golden brown. If using a food thermometer, the internal temperature should be around 160° F to 165° F.
- Add oil to the remaining marinade and baste the chicken with it a couple of times during roasting.
- Remove from oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting into serving pieces.
Looking for other Lutong Bahay Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our ulam recipes, desserts recipes and snacks recipes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.
Leave a Reply