Lechon Kawali is a very popular Filipino dish made with pork belly simmered until tender. It can be cook into 2 different ways, deep fried or roast in the oven which is the method I used to cook it. This dish usually have a dipping sauces such as Mang Tomas or the better sauce which is Spicy vinegar with soya sauce, fish sauce chilli, onion, garlic and pepper.
Lechon Kawali Recipe
- 2 kg whole pork belly
- 1 head garlic pounded
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- water for boiling
- cooking oil for deep frying
- In a pot over medium heat, combine pork belly, garlic, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, skimming scum that floats on top. Lower heat, cover and continue to cook for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender but not falling apart.
- Drain pork from liquid, discarding liquid. Wipe the pork dry, removing any stray aromatics. Place on a rack and refrigerate overnight to completely cool and dry.
- In a deep, heavy-bottomed pot, heat enough oil to completely cover meat to about 350 F to 375 F. Carefully place meat into oil and fry until meat is golden and skin is crisp and puffed. While the meat is frying, regularly sprinkle about 1 tablespoon cold water onto the meat and hot oil every 5 minutes or so.
- Remove meat from pot and drain on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Let rest for about 5 minutes and then cut into serving pieces. Serve with lechon sauce or dip of choice.
Looking for other Lutong Bahay Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our ulam recipes, desserts recipes and snacks recipes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.
Leave a Reply