Ginisang monggo is a popular mung bean dish in the Philippines. The main ingredients is sauteed mung beans seed and it is complemented by different flavors from meat, seafood, and vegetables.
Having monggo on a Friday is a good way to end the work-week and a great way to bond with family. It’s earthy, flavourful and jam-packed with nutrients. This quick and easy ginisang monggo recipe is definitely worth a try!
Ginisang Monggo Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups green mongo (mung) beans
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced pork
- 1 cup small prawns, peeled, heads discarded
- 2 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) chicharon (pork crackers), coarsely ground
- Soak the (mongo)mung beans in about 2 cups water for 4 hours.
- Bring the same water to the boil and simmer beans until tender and most of the water has been absorbed, about 20 to 30 mins. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a casserole and sautÃ onion and garlic until soft and fragrant. Add diced pork and saute until brown.
- Stir in mung beans and 2 cups fresh water. Bring to boil and simmer over medium heat until pork is fully cooked (add more water if necessary).
- Add the prawns and cook until they turn orange in color, about 1 to 2 mins.
- Season with patis, salt and pepper. Add the chicharon (optional) and serve with rice.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.