Ginataang Kalabasa or Squash with coconut milk is a classic Filipino vegetable dish that we think every household has cooked at one time or another. Usually some string beans is mixed together with the squash. Our squash with coconut milk recipe has a rich and thick coconut based sauce that is achieved by mashing some of the squash while cooking. We also add in some malunggay, both for its nutritional value and to add color to the dish. This squash recipe is simple, nutritious and so good.
Ginataang Kalabasa Recipe
- 1/2 squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch stringbeans (sitao), sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 kg pork, cut into small cubes
- 1 bunch malunggay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk, first extraction
- 1 cup coconut milk, second extraction
- patis and pepper to taste
- red chili (optional, if you want it a little spicy)
- Have the coconut grated at the market or supermarket. Extract milk by adding 1/2 cup hot water to the grated coconut . Set aside first extraction. Add another 1/2 cup hot water to the grated coconut and get your 2nd extraction.
- Heat cooking oil in pan and pan fry pork. When pork is slightly brown, add in the garlic and the onions and saute. Add in patis or fish sauce. Cover pan and let simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add in squash and saute for about 2 minutes. Add in the coconut milk 2nd extraction.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until squash is fork tender. Add in the coconut milk first extraction.
- Take out about 1/3 of the squash and mash in a bowl.
- Add in the string beans and cook and simmer until string beans are half cooked (string beans should not be overcooked to retain nutrients and the beans’ fresh green color).
- Add back the mashed squash and malunggay.
- Simmer for a minute. Serve hot.
Looking for other Lutong Bahay Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our ulam recipes, desserts recipes and snacks recipes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.
Leave a Reply