Bopis is an interesting Filipino dish of pork or beef lungs and heart sautéed in tomatoes, chilies and onions. This hot Filipino dish has Spanish roots, yet the importance in its unique language, and even area of source, are currently lost.
Easy Special Bopis Recipe
- 1/2 kilo pork heart
- 1/2 kilo pork lungs
- 300g pork fat, skin on
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red onion, minced
- 4 pcs bay leaves
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tbsp siling labuyo or cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp annatto powder, dissolved in 3 tbsp stock
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1 knot pandan leaves
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1 cup pork stock fish sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil
- green chili pepper for garnish
- 4-5 big bell peppers
- In large frying pan, add pork fat, heart and lungs, lemongrass, pandan leaves, 1 cup of vinegar, 1 tbsp salt and enough water to cover the meat.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove meat, let it cool then dice the meat finely. Set aside.
- In a heavy pan, heat oil and sauté garlic and onions. Add the chopped meat, cayenne pepper and bay leaves, stir fry for 3 minutes. 5. Add bell pepper, 1 cup of vinegar and stock, bring to a boil and simmer in high heat until sauce thickens.
- Add more vinegar if you want it more sour.
- Add annatto powder mixture then season with fish sauce and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Simmer for 2 minutes then place in big bell peppers and garnish with green chili pepper. Serve with hot rice.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.