Bicol Express – If you really want something hot and spicy, try this recipe. It is a popular Filipino dish which originated from Bicol but is very popular among the Filipinos everywhere. It is a pork stew made from chilies and coconut milk. Bicol Express was named after the passenger train service from Manila to the Bicol region, a region in the Philippines famous for its spicy cuisine. It is very very rich in coconut cream, and yes, very very spicy, but at the same time, addictive, and so easy to prepare. The hotter, the better!
Easy Bicol Express Recipe
- 1/4 cup Cooking oil
- 1 1/2 cups Shrimp paste
- 1 tb Chopped garlic
- 6 cups Coconut cream
- 1/2 cup Chopped onions
- 2 cups Fresh hot green peppers, sliced diagonally
- 1/4 cup Chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp fresh tumeric
- 1 kg Cooked pork sliced into strips
- 1 1/2 Fresh red peppers sliced diagonally
- 2 tbsp bird’s eye chili
1. Saute garlic in hot oil. Add onions and cook until translucent
2. Stir in fresh ginger, turmeric, and the sliced cooked pork. Stir continually for 5 minutes.
3. Add shrimp paste and chopped hot chilli, stir until the pork is completely covered by the mixture (about 15 mins.)
4. Pour in 6 cups of coconut cream and add the sliced hot green and red peppers. Continue cooking for about 20 minutes.
5. Add salt if necessary. Note: chillis and peppers to be added according to spiciness desired.
6. Serve with rice and enjoy!
Looking for other Lutong Bahay Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our ulam recipes, desserts recipes and snacks recipes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.
Leave a Reply