Crispy Pata is a Filipino dish consisting of deep fried pig trotters or knuckles served with a soy-vinegar dip. This dish can be eaten as a main dish or as a pulutan. Many restaurants serve boneless pata as a specialty. The cooking process of this dish may take some time but, it is well worth it!
Crispy pata have been listed in Taste Atlas’ 2019 list of 100 best dishes in the world according to this article. Taste Atlas describes itself as a “world food atlas that nurtures the culture of the local and traditional. The idea is to inform and motivate travelers to taste the best local food and beverages wherever they travel.”
Crispy Pata Recipe
- 1 pc whole pig’s leg (pata) about 3-4 lbs, cleaned
- 6 pcs dried bay leaves
- 2 tbsp whole peppercorn
- 4-6 pcs star anise optional
- 6 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp leeks
- 1 tbsp sili green
- 12-15 cups water
- 8-12 cups cooking oil
For the Sauce:
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 pc red finger chilli in diagonal slices
- 2 pcs shallots or half a red onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp shredded fresh ginger
- Pour water in a cooking pot then let it boil. Put in dried bay leaves, whole peppercorn, star anise, leeks, sili green and 4 teaspoons of salt.
- Add the whole pig’s legs in the cooking pot then simmer until the leg becomes tender (about 45 to 60 minutes). Remove the tender leg from the cooking pot and set aside until the temperature goes down.
- Heat a clean large cooking pot (preferably with cover) and pour in cooking oil. When the oil becomes hot, deep fry the rubbed pork leg.
- Continue cooking in medium heat until one side becomes crispy, and then cautiously flip the leg to crisp the other side.
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a bowl and serve with the crispy pata.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.