Chicken Pastel is a Filipino style chicken and vegetable dish with a thick and creamy sauce. In the original recipe, the chicken and vegetables are cooked separately and put together in a casserole, covered with a pie crust and then baked in the oven. This recipe is different from the norm in the sense that it does not have a crust and it uses sour cream instead of milk.
Chicken Pastel Recipe
- 2 lbs skinned chicken thighs or any chicken pieces of your choice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 pieces Chinese style sausage sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 carrot peeled and cubed
- 1 large or 2 medium potatoes cubed
- 2 medium red bell peppers cubed
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can Vienna sausage drained and sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- ½ cup light sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate chicken in soy sauce and lemon juice. Let stand for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in heavy pan over medium high heat. Add the garlic and onion. Saute until onion is soft. Add the chicken pieces and sauté for 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer for 20 minutes or until meat is tender. Constantly stir the mixture to avoid meat sticking at the bottom of the pan.
- Add Chinese sausage, carrot, potatoes, bell peppers and mushrooms. Stir well, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in Vienna sausage and sour cream. Correct seasonings if needed. Serve immediately.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.