Chicken castanets is a stew consisting of some ingredients that are popularly used by Filipinos. The chicken pieces were marinated in liquid seasonings first and then pan fried until brown. It was then cooked along with the chorizo, carrots and mushrooms. The grape tomatoes and dried thyme were added at the last minute of cooking time.
Chicken Castanets Recipe
- 8 chicken thighs or 4 thighs and 4 drumsticks
- 2 tbsp Knorr or Maggi seasoning
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil plus more for sautéing
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 small Spanish chorizo (about 5 oz) sliced diagonally
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into rounds
- 6 oz small white mushrooms lightly rinsed and wiped dry, about 2 cups
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 16 grape tomatoes
- ½ tsp dried thyme optional
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- Marinate chicken pieces in Knorr seasoning for at least an hour or overnight.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry the chicken in batches, until golden brown; set aside.
- Using a different pan or skillet, sauté garlic and onion in hot oil for 2-3 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add chorizo, carrots and mushrooms; sauté for 2 minutes or until mushrooms turned brown.
- Add chicken broth and browned chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let mixture simmer for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Stir in tomatoes and dried thyme, if using. Give cornstarch mixture a quick stir and then add to the pan. Let mixture simmer until sauce thickens. Season to taste by adding Knorr seasoning if needed.
- Serve with steamed rice and enjoy!
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.