Chicken Binakol is a Filipino soup made from chicken cooked in coconut water with grated coconut, green papaya (or chayote), leafy vegetables, garlic, onion, ginger, lemongrass, and patis (fish sauce). It can also be spiced with chilis.Binakol can also be cooked with other kinds of meat or seafood.
Chicken Binakol Recipe
- ½ kilogram native chicken, slice in serving size
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 thumb size ginger, julienned
- 3 pcs young coconut meat, scraped using spoon (buko juice & meat reserve)
- 2 tablespoon patis (fish sauce)
- 1-2 stalks lemongrass/tanglad, (tied in a knot)
- 1 bunch chili leaves (dahon ng sili)
- ½ small green papaya, slice in wedges
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 siling haba (long green chili peppers)
- salt and peppercorns, to taste
- In a medium pot, heat oil to sauté chopped onions and ginger.
- Add the chicken pieces and season with patis. Let it cook for about 5 minutes until chicken becomes slightly cooked.
- Then pour in coconut juice and add some pepper corns. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Once chicken is thoroughly cooked, it’s time to add the slices of green papaya, long green chili peppers, knotted lemongrass and chili leaves. Cover pot and let it cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add in the coconut meat, cover pot and let it cook for another minute. Season with salt according to your taste preference. Serve hot and enjoy!
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.