Calamares is the Filipino version of the Mediterranean fried squid dish, Calamari. It is a squid ring dipped with harina or flour mixture.
- 1 kilo large squids
- 3 kalamansi
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- cooking oil
- To clean squid, pull out head and the innards will come out with it.
- Discard ink sacks and entrails cut/discard the eyes and the teeth keep aside the tentacles.
- Wash squid and drain.
- Slice body into 1 cm crosswise. Cut tentacles in proportion to sliced body.
- Place sliced squid in the bowl, drizzle with kalamansi juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the bowl of sliced squid in the refrigerator to marinate and chill for 30 minutes or until ready to fry.
- Beat egg in a big bowl mix in cornstarch 1/2 cup of water to make a batter season with salt and pepper to taste, place the all purpose flour in another bowl.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok at medium heat.
- Dip squid rings in prepared batter then dredge in flour.
- Deep fry squid rings a few pieces at a time for 30-45 seconds or until they turn to golden yellow.
- Do not overcook as this will make the squid gummy.
- Remove squid rings from the wok and drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with a choice of dipping sauce.
Looking for other Lutong Bahay Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our ulam recipes, desserts recipes and snacks recipes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.
Leave a Reply