Butter chicken or murgh makhani is a dish, originating in India, of chicken in a mildly spiced tomato sauce. Butter Chicken is one of the most in demand Indian chicken curry. This recipe is really simple and lip smacking. Try it for home meals or parties.
Butter Chicken Recipe
- 125ml (1/2 cup) natural yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg chicken breast fillets, chopped
- 125g cashews, roasted
- 60g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Indian bay leaf* or normal bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 425g can tomato puree*
- 150ml chicken stock
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
1. Combine yoghurt, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, chilli, cumin, ginger and garlic in a bowl. Add chicken and stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Reserve half the cashews and place remaining cashews in a food processor. Process until finely ground.
3. Heat the butter and oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf and cook for 2 minutes until the onion starts to soften. Reduce heat to low, then add chicken and marinade, paprika, tomato puree, cashew powder and stock. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cream and cook for a further 10 minutes.
4. Garnish with cashews, chopped coriander and serve with rice.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.