Braised Spare Ribs dish is a classic traditional Chinese dish almost every Chinese family knows how to cook and loves. It’s a must-have for major holidays such as Spring Festival (a.k.a.Chinese New Year). Braised Spare Ribs is a delicious, tender, delightful dish and is best served with white rice.
Braised Spare Ribs Recipe
- 1 rack pork (or beef) spare ribs (about 3 lbs)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sake (rice wine)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp instant dashi (or chicken boullion or chicken cubes)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- green onion or thyme, for garnish
- To start, separate each rib for easier cooking using a sharp knife
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the ribs and cook briefly for 3 to 4 minutes to help remove excess fat and blood from the meat.
- Drain the ribs in the sink.
- In a wide skillet, heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the ribs and garlic and cook for a few minutes on either side until nicely browned.
- While the ribs are browning, prepare the sauce.
- Mix the salt, pepper, dashi, brown sugar, soy sauce, mirin, sake, and vinegar with a few cups of water, enough to cover the ribs. (The water will cook down, so it doesn’t have to be exact).
- Once the ribs have browned, add them to the sauce mixture.
- Cover and let simmer for 1 to 2 hours until the liquid has been reduced.
- Once the water gets low you need to watch it carefully to avoid burning!
- Serve and enjoy!
Looking for other Lutong Bahay Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our ulam recipes, desserts recipes and snacks recipes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.
Leave a Reply