This juicy braised beef recipe is so tender and flavorful. The long-braising tenderizes this inexpensive cut of meat and cooks the flavours of the olives, onions and raisins into every bite.
Braised Beef Shoulder Recipe
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3-1/2 lb. boneless beef shoulder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pitted green olives
- 1/3 cup pickled white pearl onions
- 1/3 cup sultana raisins
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- In a large oven-proof pot with a lid, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot, but not smoking. Pat meat dry with paper towels. Rub roast all over with the cumin, salt and pepper. Place roast in pot and brown on all sides for about 10 minutes per side.
- Combine tomato juice and red wine. When meat is browned, removed meat from pot. Add enough of the juice-wine mixture to fill the pan halfway. Add olives, onions and raisins. Bring sauce to a simmer, scraping browned bits from bottom of pan. Skim and discard any foam that forms on top of sauce. Return roast to pot. Cover with lid and cook in the oven for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- When meat is done, remove pot from the oven. Remove meat from pot. Tent meat loosely with aluminum foil and allow to rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set pot of sauce on stove on high heat, and reduce sauce to desired thickness. Season.
- Cut meat into thick slices and serve with reduced braising sauce.
- Serves 6 to 8.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.