Bicol Express known to its taste, the sizzling hot chilies that was being surround and of course the mixture of all ingredients over the pork. It is one of the popular dish in Filipino. The name derived from the Train transport “Bicol Express” that travels from Manila to Bicol.
Bicol Express Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons shrimp paste
- 2 pounds pork belly, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup water
- 14 pieces Thai chili peppers, stemmed and minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a wide pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add shrimp paste and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 to 2 minutes until it begins to brown.
- Add pork and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Add coconut milk and water and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced.
- Add coconut cream and chili peppers. Continue to cook for about 20 to 25 minutes or until pork is tender and sauce begins to render fat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.