Pochero is a classic Filipino stew of Spanish origin. There are many versions of pochero in the Philippines which feature different kinds of meat and other ingredients like garbanzos (chick peas) and fried kamote (sweet potato).
Beef Pochero Recipe
- 500 gram of stewing beef (batok, preferably, but brisket will do too)
- 1 piece of chorizo de bilbao, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon. of minced garlic
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoons of cracked black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 c. of tomato paste
- 250 grams of carrots
- 250 grams of potaoes
- 150 grams of baguio beans, trimmed and cut into 2
- 1/2 head of cabbage, cut in half
- 6 pieces of saba bananas
- cooking oil for frying bananas
- Peel the saba bananas. Cut each diagonally into 3 pieces and Fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain the bananas and put is aside. Cut the beef into small cubes. Then peel and cut the carrots and potatoes into small cubes.
- Heat a heavy casserole and pour in the olive oil. When its hot enough you can add the beef cubes. Cook the beef cubes until the it start to become brownish.
- When all the beef cubes are cooked you can add the garlic, onions, tomatoes, chorizo slices and bay leaf and you can also pour in the tomato paste with a cup of water.
- Season all ingredients with salt and pepper. Stir well and bring it to a boil. Cover the wok and let it simmer for approximately two hours or until the beef is tender.
- Add more water to avoid the mixture to dry up before the beef is cooked.
- Add the carrots to the sauce and let it simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and green beans and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Lastly, add the fried saba bananas and let it cook for another 3 minutes.
- Server with white rice. Happy Cooking!
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.