The Filipino term Pares commonly refers to Beef Pares, a braised beef stew served with garlic fried rice, and a bowl of clear soup. It is particularly associated with specialty roadside diner-style establishments known as Pares House that specialize in serving these type of meals.
Beef Pares is a famous carinderia food here in the Philippines. It is a go-to food whenever you’re hungry after a late night shift or if you had a few drinks with friends. Filipinos would usually eat beef pares as a hangover cure- its thick beef soup paired with hot rice would help you relieve a headache and satisfy a rumbling stomach.
Beef Pares Recipe
- 1 lb beef (uncut, preferably brisket)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium-sized onion, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 piece beef cube
- 2 pieces star anise
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Pour the water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Put-in the beef and then boil until the meat is tender (about 1 to 2 hours if slow cooked or 20 mins. if using a pressure cooker)
- When the meat is tender, remove from the pot and allow to cool down. Do not throw away the stock used for boiling.
- Slice the boiled meat in cubes and set aside.
- Place the oil in a pan then heat-up. Saute the onion, garlic, and ginger.
- Put-in the sliced meat and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes
- Add the soy sauce , 1 cup of beef stock (stock used in boiling the meat), star anise, and beef cube. Stir and then bring to a boil.
- Put-in the sugar. Stir.
- Add salt and ground black pepper. Stir and then simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Serve with fried rice and Enjoy!
Looking for other Lutong Bahay Recipes to try on? Feel free to check out our ulam recipes, desserts recipes and snacks recipes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.
Leave a Reply