Beef Lauya with the added ginger and garlic may tastes different from nilaga but they are both very comforting and satisfying. Everyone enjoyed a bowl of this hearty and delicious soup.
Beef Lauya Recipe
- 3 lbs beef shank (bone-in), cut into serving pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 large onion, peeled and halved
- Small knob fresh ginger, peeled and crushed
- 1tsp whole peppercorns
- 1 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 (around 1 lb) sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 ripe saba bananas (plantain), peeled and sliced diagonally
- 1 small green cabbage, halved and cored
- 1 small Napa cabbage, bottom cut
- 2 Serrano peppers
- Fish sauce or salt to taste
- Brown sugar to taste, optional
- Put beef in a big pot and add enough water to cover it. Add salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Skim off scum accumulated on the surface, reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for two hours, or until meat is fork tender. Add more water as needed.
- Increase heat to medium high and then add garlic, onion, ginger, peppercorns and potatoes; cook for 10 minutes.
- Add saba, cabbages and Serrano peppers; cook for another 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Correct seasoning by adding fish sauce or salt and brown sugar, if using. Serve with steamed rice and fish sauce with lemon juice on the side.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.